2005-11-11

By Popular Demand: New Rant

I am currently in the midst of an arguement where my opponent swears that 99% of all "big bands" today use backing DAT audio tracks when performing live. For those of you who don't know what a DAT track is, allow me to explain. A backing track is used when a band wishes to make their live show more "full" sounding, or when a band is unable to play their songs as well as they'd like to do so. There are many bands out there that do in fact use this as a "crutch", but nowhere near 99% of all bands.

My stance on DAT usage is as follows. If you have a band that relies heavily upon electronical effects, the usage of DAT is understandable, but if you use it just so you can take it easier on stage, that is a chickenshit way of doing so. Being in a band, if my bandmates EVER suggest using a DAT backing track live, I will leave the band immediately. If a band is THAT set on not doing their job, i.e. "rocking the house" in an honest manner, I don't want to be a part of it. Songs using effects that can't be used live can easily be altered for live purposes.

Nothing will change my stance on this practice...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

I am now ready for a new rant!

pi21nc355 said...

dude you should bitch some more. because i like to read it. and i agree with philmartin59163509. OMG YOU SHOULD GO MEET HIM TONITE!